GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My 2012 chevy avalanche tailgate lock won't unlock, I can't

Customer Question

My 2012 chevy avalanche tailgate lock won't unlock
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: I can't get the tailgate open to access the electronic lock and latch. yes
JA: Are you fixing your Avalanche yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have only removed the hard covers and drilled holes in the plastic back plate to see inside the latch and try to open the tailgate which have not been successful. I can't get the TG to open to get at the latch/lock
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How can I unlock or open the tailgate to access the electronic lock?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Cant you get into the bed through the rear seats?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already did and removed the hard covers and I even drilled holes in the plastic back cover the the tailgate to try to access the latch/lock to open the tailgate but still can't open the tailgate

Have you tried taking these panels off?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't take the back end panel off as there are bolt that are covered by the sides of the box. Until I can open the tailgate I can't unscrew the bolts holding it in hence I need to open the tailgate first

you may be able to lift the handle and access the rods that way with a screw driver and activate them and pop it

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tried but no luck. I can't get the rods to move. I'm guessing the lock prevents this.

ill keep thinking and see if I can get you some idea with out tearing up the tailgate too much