Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cooling from A/C just stopped about 2 hours ago. Blower

Customer Question
Cooling from A/C just...

Cooling from A/C just stopped about 2 hours ago. Blower works for heat and for outside air. If I engage the AC button it continues to blow warm air and starts to make a squealing noise. When I turn off the air it makes a discernable "clunking" sound.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Noise is coming from the engine area, haven't had a chance to lift the hood yet and get a better look. Still at work. Like I said it started 2 hours ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2008 LTZ 6cyl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Probably not and nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chevy
7/28/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 11 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. the air condition system has a restriction possibly on the liquid side and is causing the squealing noise if the temperature change to hot or no cold at all this means the compressor seized up and that's what the clunking noise is.

will the noise go away if you turn the a/c off ?

the noise goes away if the AC is off.

yes then don't use the ac and have it looked at before it causes more damage is possible the clutch went bad on the ac compressor.

Is it still okay to use the defrost/heat?

sorry for the delay if you use the defroster it will turn the a/c on because defroster uses heat and ac at the same time to maintain temperature you can use it on full hit yes but on floor level heat vent or front face vents.

hi where you able to fix the problem?

Hi where you able to fix the problem with the a/c ?