Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

2006 ce, chev tahoe 2006, had fuel pump replaced and drooped

Customer Question

2006 ce
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: chev tahoe 2006, had fuel pump replaced and drooped fuel mileage 2-4 miles per gal. have checked manually that computer reading is accurate.
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: 1st replacement
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, had shop replace. After replacing the same problem , no start, had it towed in and they claim original replacement was defective. No issues since, except mileage.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have cleaned the air distribution screen. I know that's the correct name, but know I cleaned it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the replacement pump is putting out to much pressure this can cause the injectors to allow to much fuel in when they open to atomize and causes this fault here.I find this as an issue in some cases with after market fuel pumps installed.

I would have the fuel pressure re tested to see if this is the case.Your pressure needs to be between 55 and 62 psi.Any higher then this is an issue.

Other then this try removing and cleaning the mass air flow sensor.This sensor is inline with the air inlet from the engine air filter.You can buy mass air flow sensor cleaner from a local parts store and remove this sensor and use this cleaner to spray off the sensor to clean it.The sensor can sometimes start to read incorrectly and causes this issue here as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?