Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

On occasion my 2004 GMC diesel will start and then stall. If

Customer Question
I prime it manually with...
On occasion my 2004 GMC diesel will start and then stall. If I prime it manually with the pump it will start and run fine. this only happens occasionly but seems to be getting worse with time. This has been going on for a couple of years. It has happened several time over the last 2 weeks. don't know if the hot weather is causing the problem to occur more often or not. Replaced the fuel filter which didn't stop the problem. Fuel mileage is still good 22 to 24 empty and 11 and 12 pulling my 5th wheel travel trailer.
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: External under the fuel primer pump
JA: What is the model of your '04 GMC?
Customer: 2500 HD Duramax Diesel
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have had it at the dealer and they haven't came up with solution nor has the local shop. Lots of ideas. People just want to start replacing parts until they find the problem. This seems to be a common problem as I have found other owners having the same problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have noticed a small fuel leak by the wiring coming out of the top of the fuel filter top next to the primer pump. The bleed off valve/screw is okay no leaks there.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
7/26/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The fuel leak is the issue.All it takes on these is a tiny leak to cause this exact issue.I have had several come into the shop with the same issue.What I have done is hand primed the primer pump until firm then inspected all fuel lines and components leading from the tank to the filter housing and from the housing to the injection pump to locate the leak.Once the leak is located it needs repaired and resolves this.

What happens is when cranked over the injection pump creates suction and the tiniest of leaks causes the pump to suck air and fuel when cold.This causes the hard start or start and stall.Hand pumping it feeds the pump the fuel it needs which is why it runs then.

Since you have located the leak at the wiring the fuel filter housing needs replaced.This housing was a very common cause for the leak issues with it needing replaced.You wouldnt think this tiny leak would cause it but it does.I saw a guy replace $3k worth of parts and come to find out it was a small leak at the fuel filter bleeder screw is all that needed tightened to repair it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks for your assistance, another person just told me the same. Worth trying and this is becoming annoying to say the least and dangerous as a couple of times I started into traffic when it stalled. Normally it stalls with in a couple of seconds so I have learned to wait about 30 seconds or so before putting it into gear.

Your welcome

I am sure you will find the tiny leak is the cause.I have run into it so many times before.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician