GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My instrument panel has several problems. The gear selector

Customer Question

my instrument panel has several problems. The gear selector does not light. Oil gauge shows max all the time. Back lighting is dim. Can this be fixed and what is the best solution? How about the companies that offer cluster repair?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: A mechanic recently went through the whole vehicle. The problem appears to be specific to the instrument panel.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2004 Chevy Avalanche 1500
JA: Are you fixing your Avalanche 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A "friend" looked at the electrical grid on the backside of the panel suspecting that the soldering was cracked but we could not see anything. I would like to replace the old panel as I know how to take it out and unplug it. I have problems if required to take the instrument panel apart to fix.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is about it. thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Are you looking for a diagnoses or are you looking for options on how to get the cluster fixed/repaired or replaced?