Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Just got a message that says 100 miles til max speed 65mph?

Customer Question

just got a message that says 100 miles til max speed 65mph?
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2016 Silverado 2500
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. It just happened on my way to work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I know of
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this is a diesel check and make sure the exhaust fluid is full.If it is low this will cause this fault here with it needing refilled then the vehicle driven for several miles for the computer to then recognize the fluid is full.If this is not a diesel let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a diesel and I refilled the def fluid about 3 weeks ago
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,then there is a fault with one of the def components.This can be the fluid level sensor sending a false signal that it is low which can be common.

What has to be done from here very soon before the 100 miles is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set then those codes diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.The codes have to be checked using a scan tool that will plug in and can read all computers in your vehicle.

I suspect the level sensor is the cause with it needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete