mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

I have been repairing my on cars my whole life and have

Customer Question

i have been repairing my on cars my whole life and have never had a problem i couldn't solve until now. this is an 01 Chevy Venture with a 3.4.
Here is what i know... I was driving down the road around 60 MPH and without warning the engine just died. It tries to start (barely) but will not run. If i hold full throttle it will start but it does not go much past an idle and will slowly die our.
I have replaced the fuel pump (twice), checked the voltage to the pump and tested for a good ground. i have replace the fuel filter and fuel regulator. I can not get he pressure past 48 psi. spec says 52 to 59.
I have spark and have verified the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. I have no engine trouble codes. i do have codes B1009, b3055, U1000 I do not have a security warning on the dash. I have reset these code several times but as soon as i turn the key off and back on the codes come right back but the engine still tries to run.
Hope you can help me. Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

have you checked the compression?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is a little weak but it does pump over 100 PSI the engine has 140,000 miles
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
also the timing chain is less than a year old also

it has 100psi on the first turn of the engine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no it take 2-3 hits

so,,it takes two compression strokes to make 100psi?..correct?

how much compression on the first stroke?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
correct
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
about 50

ok..it has jumped time on the chain

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how can i verify that with out tear the cover off this is van and to say the least i is a major job

you already have with the compression test

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok i will tear it down thanks

that thing should hit over 100psi on the first stroke

then around 150psi+ on the 2nd

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa4zqh9gyrd0jhj/0723-venture-B3055.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/pa4zqh9gyrd0jhj/0723-venture-B3055.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Bad news the chain is fine. Any other possibilities?

if it is correct,the compression should be up more..perhaps your test gauge is bad..

ok,sense it is on time on the chain,i would think the ignition module under the coils is bad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have the ICM out How do i test the module. In have tested the coils and the check out fine.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also I have two crankshaft sensors I have tested the 24 pulse but not the 7 pulse could the seven pulse be an issue?
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 months ago.

the 7x wouldbe the problem..

you cant do a good test on the icm at home..most auto parts stores have a machine that will test the icm

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok I have replaced the ICM and the 7 pulse crankshaft sensor same result.

that doesnt make sense.

please stand by,perhaps one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on..

someone will be right with you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
seems like there is not much left except a bad harness or the ECM or maybe even both. I have pull the ECM but could not see any signs of burning, but i am getting old and my eyes are not what they once were.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also it it true that the fuel pressure must be above 52 pounds for the injector to work? I had a meter on this and could only get 49 on it that is way i changed the pump twice.
Expert:  mike switzer replied 2 months ago.

do you have a battery charger?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have already tried to give it an extra kick using the charger. i even swapped out the battery

that was not my recommendation my recommendation was trying to relearn the key. the b3055 code is indicating the vehicle is not recognizing the key and a lot of time if it happens out of nowhere the bcm has failed but you sometimes can relearn the key.

you will want the vehicle hooked up to the charger for this procedure as it takes about 40 minutes.

with the key off insert the key and try and start the car like normal then let it stay in the ignition on position for 10 minutes. after 10 minutes turn the vehicle off for 10 seconds then repeat these steps two more times. on the fourth start attempt the vehicle should start sometimes it is the the attempt. if it does not start the vehicles bcm is bad and will need to be replaced and reprogrammed to the vehicle.

the bcm is a common failure item in many gm vehicles. and it controls the fuel on command and when they go bad with the security system they will kick it on for a moment the off causing the start die symptom you have. and also could explain why you are not getting the full fuel pressure you should be getting.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok then it has once again it has failed to start. I will locate a BCM does this have to be flashed at the dealer?

either the dealer or sometimes there are mobile computer flashing companies that will come to you. a quick google search with locate them in your area

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok received my BCM and installed it and am still having the same problem it will run Horrible for about 5 seconds then stall but i have a monitor that checks a fuel trim. timing mass air flow. the timing ranged -64 to 25 (I had to give it a lot of throttle to keep it running). the fuel trim went off the chart. short term went from -100 to 0 long time went from 0 to 32. Mass air flow went from 1.94 g/s to 281.31 g/s the MAP did not move 100.0 to 100.0 KPa. the O2sb1s2 0.445 to 0.650 V. and O2sb1s1 0.450 to 0.460V.
Well that is what i know except when it runs i am getting a ton of grey smoke from the exhaust.
let me know what you think