Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 1999 Chevy suburban. Last year I had a

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1999 Chevy suburban. Last year I had a remanufactured 5.7 liter engine put in. Having a problem now and don't know what might be wrong. It seems to happen when its been on the highway for 2+ hours. We notice it heating up and then it just kind of shuts down with no power available when pushing on the accelerator. Also, after the first time this happened, the oil level was extremely low. After letting it sit for like 45 minutes, we were able to get it up to 60MPH and get it off the freeway, but as it started to slow down on the off ramp, it lost power again. When it went in to the mechanic, they could re create the problem. They put a new cam sensor in. Bringing it home last night, after 2 hours of driving and traffic it heated up and lost power again! Any ideas?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: I guess you could say it originally will fluctuate, and then we lose it all together.
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, not fixing it ourself. Just picked it up from the shop yesterday, where they replaced the cam sensor. That wasn't the problem. I guess it's hard for them to tell whats wrong since they can't drive it on the highway for 2+ hours.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of. How does this work?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, has the exhaust back pressure been tested for a restriction in the converter and has fuel pressure been tested when it does this yet

Please remember that i am not there and therefore may need to ask for more information at times