Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Blowing dash fuse as soon as I turn the ignition switch. I

Customer Question
Blowing dash fuse as soon...
Blowing dash fuse as soon as I turn the ignition switch
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: Yes. I did a complete engine swap and at the same time changed it over to a 5spd
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I also have the parking light fuse blowing.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: Before I pulled that fuse, as soon as I hooked up the battery, every light on the dash lit up even without the key in the ignition.
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 1997 4.3 4x4 base
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: With a complete 2002 ZR2 drivetrain under it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm just running wires. I don't have any tools to check wiring with me
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
Test
Let's get this problem solved!
7/23/2017
Chevy Mechanic: BOBBYSS, Master Technician replied 4 months ago
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** you tell me which fuse is blowing. Thank you

4
I have nearly expended all options!
What a poor excuse for service. I'm am at a loss for words at the lack of response after my payment cleared. I have spent days trying to solve this issue and when I reach out and pay for "professional" help and don't get it, it's a crying shame.
1997 Chevy S10 4x4 base model 4.3, auto.I replaced all of the original running gear minus transfer case from a 2002 ZR2 S10 that also included a 5spd swap.When I turn the ignition switch on, the #4 fuse blows. Can you help or not?
Chevy Mechanic: Marvin the Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Marvin the Mechanic
Marvin the Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician

Sorry for the long delay to get an answer for you.

We need to separate the system to help find the short. We will need to disconnect connector C203. this is a large connector behind the glove box.

Do you have an ohm meter? We will need to find out at the fuse block which side of the fuse is the power. Then use the ohm meter to check what the resistance is on the non-power side of the fuse. Then disconnect the connector C203 and see if it changes.

Here is the wiring diagrams of the fuse and a picture of where the connector is.

Awesome. I'll be back in the garage this evening and I'll get to it. Thanks in advance!
Marvin, you out there buddy?
I have 10 ohms on top and 0 on bottom.
Struggling trying to figure out which plug is which.......
I traced all the wires that could have been interfered with and found no damage. Out to the garage shortly to find that plug. Could it be in a different location on a 1997?
I found it. Pulling it now.
Now I have 13.17 top and 6.88 bottom
BTW, I tested it with the battery hooked up. Does it need to be disconnected?

It is best to check with the battery disconnected. Since the bottom had 0 before and now has 6.88 then the short is in the second part of the system. the image fuse 4-2 above are the components that you need to check. Also check the wiring harness around those components.

Will do. I'll be in touch. Thanks!
I don't see the labeling in the schematic to decipher which too look at.

At the bottom of the image it has what components the fuse sends power to. If you want you can reconnect the connector C203 (behind the glove box). Then connect the ohm meter to the bottom where the fuse goes, then disconnect each component and check resistance. If the resistance goes up from 0 then you found the problem.

Got it. I'll be in touch. Thanks again
Which picture is 4-2?
Ok, I started over and rechecked that circuit with the battery disconnected. It reads 1.6 on top and 1.6 on bottom. With the C203 disconnected it reads 13 on top and 6.88 on bottom. This is different than the readings I came up with while the battery was connected. Not sure where I stand now....
I put heavy duty axles in this truck from the 02 ZR2. I notice a dashed line between the front axle switch and the AC compressor relay. Is there a connection of some sort between those components?
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician