Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2011 HHR LT.. installing Fog lights, found wire for button

Customer Question
on behind waterfall panel, relay...
2011 HHR LT.. installing Fog lights, found wire for button on behind waterfall panel, relay and fuse is install, button works the running lights, is the wiring harness in place for the lamps or I will have to create a wiring harness?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know what size fuse it needs?
Customer: 15a
JA: Are you fixing your HHR yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not fixing.. installing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just want to know if there is a wiring harness for the lights I need to find
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
7/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Are you installing a factory upgrade kit?

could not find a factory upgrade kit, I have the push button already just need to create the hole for it. I saw there is a fog light fuse and relay already installed. The Fog push button does operate the running lights so i am hoping it turns on the fog light light relay too but I need to verify that fact. I am a maintenance technician so I am skilled. if you know where I could find the upgrade kit that would be nice I want to do a oem install. My dealer said they couldn't find one. I was hoping the wiring harness might be taped up someplace but that is wishful thinking on my part I think. I am hoping everything is wired to the BCM and fog light relay.
Will I have to make a wiring harness for the lamp plugs and run it to the fuse box? .. I was hoping it was wired from the relay to a plug that I could use..

I would pull the fuse block under hood and check the back side connector X3 to see if you have C5 and E5 wires going out, I would think they would be there but thats the only way to tell, is there no connectors tapped up near the fog light opening ?

I did not see any as I was installing the light assembly but I was going to get a mirror so I could see further up inside. I have heard there isn't any but I would have thought they would have given consideration for future upgrades at the dealership and made the process simple by having a plug you could plug a wiring harness for the lights into .. I have heard that the BCM needs to be reprogrammed in order for the fog lights to work ..true?

Should just be plug and play.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician