GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2007 Impala, 168k miles, 2.5L V6 - AC compressor cycles

Customer Question

2007 Impala, 168k miles, 2.5L V6 - AC compressor cycles on/off. Had in shop to have serviced: replaced seal, press sensor & charge correctly. They would like to replace the compressor for $1000, but I don't think the compressor is bad.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: No idiot lights. I have a cheap code reader. Didn't think to look for codes.
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm a reasonably competent DIY mechanic. Worked cars whole life for 35 years, overhauled engine, fixed kids cars. Haven't done anything iwht this yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Cycling in most cases is due to the system being low of Freon, have you installed a set of gauges yet and read the system pressure?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had it in the shop and they've recharged the system.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When the compressor is engaged, I get cold air.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay but you still need to read the system pressure, normal pressure on a full system with the compressor running needs to be right at 35 to 40 PSI on the low side and right at 200 to 210 PSI on the high side. Can you tell me what your pressures are?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I don't have gauges. Sorry.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Most auto part store such as Auto Zone have a tool loner program and will usually loan you a set. If you can get me the pressure reading I will help you determine the cause.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Given the shop has replaced pressure sensor, seal, & has charged the system, I have to assume that part is OK. I'm looking for a control/wiring problem.AutoZone doesn't loan gauges anymore. Have to purchase for $70.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay I am not sure how to advise you with out knowing the pressure reading first, that is always the first thing you need to do.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, so this is a no-go. At least for now. How any I get a refund?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Customer service can help you with refunds. I am only paid with a rating.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, thank you Ron. No foul on your side. :)