Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I lost my key a couple days ago and tried to crank it using

Customer Question
a screwdriver...That didnt work so...
I lost my key a couple days ago and tried to crank it using a screwdriver...That didnt work so my husband attempted to hot wire my 1999 suburban and it would never start...Turn over but never start ....So someone told us to buy a used steering columm for it but coukd we buy a new ignition switch instead? Just need to get it crank
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Cranked so we can get it home .....Yes we can turn the sterring wheel
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes...nothing after the hot wire..
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thats it i think so
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
7/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 4 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

The problem needs to be diagnosed and fixed correctly. I can help with that.

Unless of course you just want to jumper power to the starter to get it up and going you can certainly do that.

To check the starting circuit, I will need to start with your VIN or engine size to pull the correct wiring diagram.

Ok give me a second and i will get the vin #
3GNFK16R5XG102875 vin#
1999 Suburban K1500
if i can just get it up and going that woukd be great...its behind a buisness and we luve 45 mins away

Thank you.

One moment please

Just a quick question, have you tried jumping power to the starter?

If not, you might want to do that next.

No...and i have no idea how to do that...im sorry...But im a fast learner...and willinging to learn....Do you have a video?
After we tried to hot wire it we left the wires alone so they are all pulled out..

I am sure I could find one for you.

All you need to do is put power directly to the small wire going to the starter motor.

You can use a jumper wire from the positive battery post or jumper the big wire down at the starter to the small wire at the starter.

If the key is in the on position while doing this, it will crank over and should start.

Just keep in mind, it will spark a bit when doing this.

The ignition switch is out because we lost our key and tried cranking with a screwdriver first...Our first mistake

NO worries, just pop the switch back into place and apply 12 volts to the signal wire at the starter.

We are going to try this and i will get back to you

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN