BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

03 Silverado crew cab 2500 lb7 duramax.fuel light stuck on.

Customer Question

Hi
03 Silverado crew cab 2500 lb7 duramax.fuel light stuck on. Filled it then gauge stayed full. After a couple days light came on and read fuel empty.Went to start it first thing in the morning and it's stuck in limp mode.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can send pictures. I just got the truck and its not been maintained.iv found a few broken wires.iv purchased a new air pump to put on.(CA emissions truck) The hoses are cut and unplugged on all the emissions stuff above the fuel filter housing. Its got a newer filter housing without a heater. So my wires arnt plugged in to anything.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you talk about the fuel light do you mean the fuel level light?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The fuel lines are rusty from drivers seat back. I'll be pulling the bed off today to clean the frame and check things out.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would a broken glow plug wire put it in limp mode?
when I unplug the MAFS plug it doesn't change the way it runs. Not sure if that matters.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can call if it's easier when it's a good time for you. Either way is fine with me. I need to get this thing drivable in the next few days. I promise to include at least a 50.00 tip if you can solve this.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I have had some computer issues. Did you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi
Yes ,I pulled my sending unit half way out as I couldn't get fuel lines undone. Inside the valley of the sending unit was an L shapped piece. I believe it belongs on the underside. It was just floating around.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm getting a better fuel line disconnect tool in the morning so I can take the sending unit all the way out. Could that piece cause my truck to go into limp mode?Ill also be testing the fuel for water. I also can't figure out why the truck won't go out of limp mode after disconnecting the batteries.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 months ago.

That can definitely cause the vehicle to go into limp mode if there is a fuel level sensor issue, especially if the check engine light is coming on. Are you getting a check engine light?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the check engine lights on. I'm purchasing a scan tool tomorrow
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 months ago.

Let me know what codes you get as that will also shed some light on what is going on. I will be more available tomorrow to assist.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok here's the codes.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. This engine does have a history of issues with the wiring to the injectors. The wiring and/or connectors wear out and the connections become bad. Most of the time the wiring harness for the injectors will need to be replaced. That will take care of the reduced power issue. The problem with the fuel level sounds like a separate issue and is more than likely just the level sensor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Iv checked many wires and found this wire grounding out. I'd like to know if it connects into this box. I wasn't paying attention taking it apart.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 months ago.

Are you talking about the large red wire?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does the wire coming off the glow plug relay go to the glow plug module