Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2000 Chevy Malibu LS 3.1 L engine 175,000 miles Problem: Car

Customer Question

2000 Chevy Malibu LS 3.1 L engine 175,000 milesProblem: Car Shuts off while driving or just idling.Car runs well.The check engine light is not on. I occasionally get a P303 error code when driving in the heat of the day in Vegas but it then clears it's self.The problem started yesterday afternoon. I went to start the car and you hear a click but the dash lights and gauges were totally dead. I tried a few more times and the lights and guages came on and the car started right up just like normal. Drove a block and everything on the dash went dead and the car stopped. No engine light, no unusual noises, no unusual smells. Did the same thing again. Turned the key a few times and everything came back on and I started off again. It died 3 times on the way home yesterday. It's died 4 times today once while it was just idling. A few times it started and immediately died. When it dies the only thing that happens is the gauges all turn off. The dash lights all turn off and the engine stops.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 11 days ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 11 days ago.

has anything been done yet to correct this issue yet ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No. I haven't found anything wrong yet to work on. Added note. When the gauges and dash light indicators go dead the radio door locks ect. all work as normal.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 days ago.

99 % of these the issue is a bad ignition switch which would explain the gauge issue also

for those its best to replace the ignition switch AND the outer ignition lock housing that holds the passlock sensor

that should correct this issue you are having

with no codes set that should fix it

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Don't want to switch to a phone call. Got ripped off by another guy once doing that
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Would an ignition switch go that bad that quick? Why would the engine just go dead while driving?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 days ago.

no problem at all

doing what i said will fix this car

a very common issue for this car

Expert:  Gary replied 8 days ago.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I ordered the part at rockauto. It's suppose to be here Wednesday. Do you happen to have a good link to something showing me how to get the old one out?
Expert:  Gary replied 7 days ago.

here you go

1. With a small flat-bladed tool remove the ignition switch trim ring from ignition switch.
  2. Remove the accessory trim plate from the IP carrier.
  3. Remove the upper steering column trim cover from the steering column. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement - On Vehicle in Steering Wheel and Column - Tilt.
  4. Remove the instrument cluster trim plate from the IP carrier.
  5. Remove the instrument panel cluster from the IP carrier.
  6. Remove the ignition switch bolts from the ignition switch.
    Disconnect the electrical connectors from the ignition switch.Insert the key into the ignition switch key cylinder. Rotate the key to the RUN position11.1Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.11.2Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location on the "rib" approximately 3/8 inch reward (toward the key entry end) from the cylinder release button.11.3Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8 inch drill bit.11.4Carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition switch lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a 9/32 inch drill bit.11.5Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.11.6Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove it from the switch housing.