GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2006 chevy trail that randomly stalls. You can

Customer Question

I have a 2006 chevy trail blaze that randomly stalls. You can simply push it into neutral while going down the road and restart it and it will be fine for awhile then randomly do the same thing again. It almost like the fuel pump is shut off briefly but I can't seem to prove that. Any thoughts? I am not getting any codes.
JA: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: I have had it in the dealer shop twice and they are clueless.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have cleaned the throttle body, replace cam position and crank position sensors, changed fuel pump relay, bypassed the pass lock for the key and all to no avail.
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 3 months ago.
Hi welcome to just answers my name is ***** ***** you tell me the engine size
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
4.2 inline 6
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is the EXT model

does it stalls when at mid or full throttle?, while accelerating or decelerating ? does it starts right up with out hesitations, not even pending codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Throttle doesn't seem to mattter. It can be idling taking off or with the Cruze set on a flat road. It starts right back with no trouble. The dealer ship re flashed the computer with the latest updates and it made no difference. They wanted to keep trying different things but they told me that they were guessing at this point and of course it was all at my expense. I have googled the heck out of this and no one seems to have the same problem.

Have they scan the transmission for torque converter lock up problems ? have they done a torque converter lock up test? if the lock up on the transmission is activating at the wrong time this will happen and won't leave any codes stored on the engine pcm. is there a way you can ask the service writer and ask him if that was done ?

another thing you should try is Unplug the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) and then test drive.
If the problem is gone with the MAF unplugged, check the air intake and try cleaning the MAF sensor.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They told me everything they did and that wasn't anything mentioned. However, if your traveling on the highway and that occurs would that cause a stall? I would think that the conditions are met and that it locking or unlocking would be more of a nuisance than a stalling problem. I'm not doubting you, just not understanding. I'm more old school where your foot is the computer �� How does the torque lock tie in as for as the engine running.
I'll give the MAF a try assuming the engine will stay running without it.

i understand i am old school also but had to learn about the new electronics and yes they are not the same as they use to be, will explain about the torque converter lock up later but in the meantime can you check on the maf sensor, and let me know if any difference.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have unplugged the MAF and driven about 3 miles around the block and it has not stalled however this problem is so random you can go one mile or fifty and it may happen once or multiple times or it may not happen at all. I at the point that I wish it would just stop running altogether maybe then I track it down.

you can continue to drive with the sensor disconnected this will just set an engine light but at least you will know if this is the problem in a couple of days. here is a little inside on the torque converter just copy this address to your browser https://www.thoughtco.com/diagnosing-gm-converter-lock-up-problems-262653

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, I will try leaving the MAF unplugged for a few days. I read over the info you sent me and it seems that if that were the problem it would happen at low speeds and or at stops and that's not the case here. Thank you for your time and if you have one of those wake up in the middle of the night revelations please feel free to drop me an email [email protected] Net. Thanks again! Anthony

yes you can come in at anytime and let me know how is working and as to the lock up i broth it up because of the symptoms but if is as you said then lest forget that and concentrate on the Maf sensor Ido have lots of other areas we can check but first lest eliminate this possibility of a maf sensor problem. I will contact you in 3 days but if it happens earlier let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, that failed. As a matter of fact it just made it harder to restart once it did stall. There was a service engine light. I'm sure it because of MAF being unplugged however my scanner got loned out so I'm in the process of relocating it. Any other ideas.

OK yes i expected you would have hard start with the maf sensor disconnected but just wanted to see if it stall. I guess it didn't make any difference on the problem you are having. This problem is very difficult to find because is not leaving any codes on memory, a stall condition can be cause by fuel ,spark,air,transmission,torque converter, engine mechanical failure,etc. at this point I ran out of ideas and cant think what else it can be other then maybe an Ignition Switch reason why is because you have no codes stored on memory and if you have a bad ignition switch this can happen the computer reset and all codes will be erased before you can get to read any

let me opt out and see if any body had this problem before and may be able to help ok, sorry but i try my best but is not enough, do not answer back to me this will lock the question back to me and extend your waiting time . thank you.