Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

140000 miles on 2002 Silverado HD. Started smoking at idle a

Customer Question

140000 miles on 2002 Silverado HD. Started smoking at idle a couple weeks ago. Now it's belching black smoke when it shifts down pulling trailer up a hill. Took it to my mechanic and he said injector problem on 1 cylinder, primarily. He suggested replacing all injectors and also said my turbo is going out. I had mentioned that I no longer hear it spool up on a grade.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Transmission is original (2002) My mechanic is/was primarily a transmission specialist and he says I have problems developing.
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: He's a family friend and suggested it may be time to trade up since I've spent about $3000 this year already on transfer case, cam shaft position indicator (I may be calling that by the wrong name)
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, Im able to work on "old" gas engines but nothing with computers. I leave it to the pros...
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 14 days ago.

I agree with what your family friend has said. These engines are known for injector problems which will cause black smoke at idle and smoke under hard acceleration fits a leaking turbo seal. You can verify seal is the problem by seeing if there is oil in the intercooler piping. To verify injectors are problems you would want to make sure fuel pressure is correct during problem, if so they would need to be replaced. Injectors are a 9 hour job to replace and turbo is a 6 hour job. So unless he is willing to give you a really good deal on labor you are looking at at least $2500 worth of work. After parts are replaced I'd imagine you would be trouble free for awhile considering mileage isn't that high but that is your call. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.