Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Trying to sort out overheating issue on 97 cavalier. was

Customer Question
wondering if there was any...
Trying to sort out overheating issue on 97 cavalier. was wondering if there was any way to relocate the thermostat near the water pump to the housing next to the coolant temperature sensor. Heard there was a straight bolt on deal to make this happen.
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to walk you through that for your Chevrolet Cavalier. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: there is no blockage, coolant flows freely, it seems as if the water pump is pushing the antifreeze in the opposite direction than it should have so this not going to open right?e thermostat
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/13/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

There is no way to relocate the thermostat and or the housing, have you verified the cooling fan operation as well as checked to be sure you do not have a blown head gasket?

cooling fan is good. head gasket was my next item to tackle. No milky oil, no smoke, no leaks anywhere

Before you consider the head gaskets have you ran a block test to check for any signs of hydro carbons in the cooling system?

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician