GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Trying to sort out overheating issue on 97 cavalier. was

Customer Question

Trying to sort out overheating issue on 97 cavalier. was wondering if there was any way to relocate the thermostat near the water pump to the housing next to the coolant temperature sensor. Heard there was a straight bolt on deal to make this happen.
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to walk you through that for your Chevrolet Cavalier. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: there is no blockage, coolant flows freely, it seems as if the water pump is pushing the antifreeze in the opposite direction than it should have so this not going to open right?e thermostat
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 10 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 10 days ago.

There is no way to relocate the thermostat and or the housing, have you verified the cooling fan operation as well as checked to be sure you do not have a blown head gasket?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
cooling fan is good. head gasket was my next item to tackle. No milky oil, no smoke, no leaks anywhere
Expert:  Ron replied 10 days ago.

Before you consider the head gaskets have you ran a block test to check for any signs of hydro carbons in the cooling system?