Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My 2001 blazer has a problem every year with evap. Now not

Customer Question

My 2001 blazer has a problem every year with evap. Now not ready but usually light comes on and throws code. Need inspection
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Engine light will fill come on and have to start all over
JA: Are you fixing your Blazer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: There is an evap problem. Have done drive cycle 4 times.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do I get just evap ready. All others are ready. Driven over 300 miles
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

is it setting any current or history codes at all ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Always would code p0442
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No current codes
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

if its setting the code P0442 it will not run the evap test

the code P0442 needs to be corrected

once there is NO more code then you reset the monitors an drive it for 75 miles or so

does the fuel gauge work ?

has the vehicle been to a shop to smoke test the EVAP system and find the problem to fix the P0442 code yet ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mechanic replaces inside of secondary air pump. No test yet BC of cost fuel gage works
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

if it has a P0442 code it will never run the monitors for the EVAP

the EVAP code has to be fixed for it to run and pass i am sorry to say

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sometimes gage jumps. Believe electrical problem. Also takes 400 miles to get cel back on
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No codes b4 these last 325 miles
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

if it takes 400 miles and the fuel gauge works fine disconnect both battery cables for 5 minutes then touch the 2 battery cables together for 2 minutes then reconnect both to the battery then drive it 75 miles highway and back roads

that should force the monitors to reset

if it triggers that code or the fuel gauge is erratic enough it can cause the monitor to not run

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.