Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1948 chevy pickup with new V8 SBC engine package complete

Customer Question
with alternator starter ,etc and...
1948 chevy pickup with new V8 SBC engine package complete with alternator starter ,etc and new autowire wiring harness. all works fine except starter . Sometimes get 1 loud click when turned key. Replaced battery and battery cables, still every once in a while 1 click. It will start with a jump. Alternator charging a little over 14 volts. Next move?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: I did install a mechanical neutral safety switch down at the automatic transmission gear linkage
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 48 chevy pickup with new SBC engine and 700R4 auto trans
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: goodlord man 1948
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced battery and battery cables
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's about it
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
hello?
7/13/2017
Chevy Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 6 months ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
is the click coming from the starter?

the solenoid
one time we herd the click and a second later it started
is that it ?

no but can you answer the question so i can help solve the issue?

coming from the starter

have you measured voltage to the starter? likley its a bad starter is it gear reduction?

starter came with the crate motor package along with an alternator . had to replace the alternator already. both are just remans.
its a typical GM starter. don't believe its gear reduction
I put a tester on the battery during start up and it seemed to fall into the green range, however, that was testing the battery
i can measure the voltage to the starter . while engine off i assume

if its getting 12 volts at the starter and has trigger at the trigger wire when the key s turned to the cran position its a bad starter...all the symptoms point to the starter

strange, i replaced the battery, battery cables , made sure good ground contacts, it only clicks occasionally but will tart righwith a light jump from a battery charger in start mode . it can go days without starting it and it will start
check voltage at battery post on starter for 12v , turn key to crank position and check trigger wire, wire on the small stud at solenoid?
trigger wire i assume is the small wire lead to the solenoid ? there is only one wire

correct thats the one that engaged the solenoid when the key is in the crank position

as long as trigger wire is receiving voltage during crank position , should I check that voltage or can use a test light just to check for voltage ?
i assume this proabably would not be an intermitant electrical system problem, probably a defective starter solenoid but replace starter as well?
i meant do i check the voltage to the trigger wire with a meter or just use a test light to make sure its getting some kind of voltage ?

test light is fine

right on
well i started this late and will have to check it in the AM

ok i check in and out during the day...because i work on cars all day..but reply i will get back to you when i see it

thanks

no problem

a

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Apreciatted

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

Please kindly rate Me ,A 5 Star Rating is Much Appreciated.

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,

You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert

that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please Keep in Mind that when You Rate Me , it Does Not End Our Conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

I 'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till LATE PM Eastern Time Zone

ny luck?

JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy