Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

I have an 83 El Camino and just had a set of headers

I have an 83 El Camino and just had a set of headers installed by a local shop. For some reason the engine is now misfiring and I tried contacting the shop but the mechanic left for vacation. It has a 305 engine and 1 thing I notice is that there is a vacuum line hanging on the passenger side of the motor leading to the 4th port (going from right to left) on the carb. I have tried putting my finger on it but seems to have zero effect.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: Doesnt seem to misfire when in park but in drive it will misfire and also when I put it in reverse, it stalls.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 83 El Camino Base Model.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced plugs on the driver side and wires, plugging hanging vacuum line from carb.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.

Here is Vacuum Diagram
Click Attachments Below
Check Firing Order
Check or replace Spark Plugs as the installer may have cracked a Plug
Timing may also need to be adjusted, as Headers does change Exhaust flow
Timing =

California 8 degrees with 4 wire Electronic Spark Timing connector, at distributor, disconnected
Federal 4 degrees at normal operating temperature and distributor vacuum advance hose disconnected and plugged
What did the Installer do for O2 Sensor/s, as stock Exhaust has the O2 Sensor near the Exhaust pipe Inlet

.

Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.

what did you find??

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have all but 1 plug replaced, 1 is really hard to get at. Also replaced all of the wires. Replaced the distributer cap, rotar and coil. Started up and same thing. The vacuum lines appear to be ok and I havent found any leaks. The O2 sensors were incorporated into reducers that came with 02 sensor sockets.

where did the Vacuum Line connect?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do however remember looking under the hood after getting gas and noticing the fuel pump was wet. The vacuum line appeared to connect down near the exhaust. I have a part that looks like it has a flap that opens and closes. Went between the Cat and manifolds.

Thanks......that may have been the Exhaust Heater flap that keeps one side of exhaust closed to heat air into Intake when engine is cold
Be sure to close off that Vacuum Line
As far as the miss, timing may change it because of the Header change, or # 1 may have an issue

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I agree. What are your thoughts on the fuel pump possibly having an issue?

sorry for the delay.........

IF you have the Fuel Pump on the Block & believe the Fuel Pump is leaking, then it would be a good idea to replace, especially if the Diaphram is ruptured
Pull the Oil Dipstick & smell the Oil to see if you can smell gas in the oil, as that will make it run like a bad miss also

.

were you able to change # 1?

did you change fuel pump
IF oil smells of fuel, you need to change oil & filter also

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In the process of the fuel pump now and getting that stubborn plug. Will keep you posted.

thanks.........

.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got the pump in and found a fuel line running behind everything that seems crushed. Could be the issue so Im replacing that now. Ill close and rate this today. Just want to share with you the outcome.

THANK YOU very much.......always glad to know what the issue was to repair, as we hardly get comebacks to explain what was done

Hope you get it done

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got it! The crushed fuel line running from the tank to the fuel pump. Replaced it, fired right up! Thank you so much for helping me narrow everything down. Saved me a ton of frustration.

Sounds good......so many things that "could have been", but appears you got it done
THANK YOU for the update
Thank you for using J/A

now if I can find me a 1967 El Camino (cheap), that would be great too

thanks again