GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Second opinion] 2007 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 Ecotech engine, won't

Customer Question

Second opinion] Hi Pearl,
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2007 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 Ecotech engine, won't start. Checked compression, there was none in any cylinders. Took valve cover off, found one of the exhaust rockers just laying inside the engine. All the exhaust rockers were loose to the point that I could just pull them out. Is this caused by bad lifters?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes, everything was checked and fine
JA: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, fixing myself. Had into garage and they said valves are moving but not closing all the way.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: New spark plugs, checked fuel pressure, checked coil packs, both are good. Checked compression and there was none in any cylinder. I took the valve cover off, one of the rockers on the exhaust cam fell off. All the other ones were loose to the point that I could pull them out.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. you have damaged valves and or pistons if the rockers were laying inside. best case scenario, you need a rebuilt cylinder head. worst case scenario you need an engine.

do you still need assistance?