Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Knock sensor on bank 2, catalytic converter on bank 2 codes…

knock sensor on bank...

knock sensor on bank 2, catalytic converter on bank 2 codes on 4.3 liter 2011express van

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

Code knock sensor on bank 2 and code on catalytic converter bank 2

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2011 express 1500 van

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Express 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had the codes read at O'Reily's. doing the research now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Are the 2 connected

6/16/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

-Do you happen to have the actual "p-codes" associated with this?

-Are there any current cylinder misfires? Is engine performance still good?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
don't have the actual code. for got to write it down. The tech did show me the code and it was for the sensor on bank 2. Also the catalytic converter on bank 2 is showing up.

My apologies. There are only a handful of Techs that take phone calls. Unfortunately, I am not one. If you'd like, we can continue here in Q&A chat and I can provide you with the information and help you need, and I can handle any follow-ups you may have.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That will work.

Ok. Great. Any current misfires in engine that you can notice?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No Misfires and no codes for misfires.

Ok. Perfect. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
same for me

Thanks for holding!

Ok- As long as there are no cylinder misfires, these are not linked. If there 'was' a misfire, this would make the cylinder knock and trigger the sensor as well as send dirty exhaust through the system which would trigger the converter code. So, unfortunately, sounds like a coincidence at this point.

The knock sensor is located on the lower, passenger's side of the engine, just above the starter. There's a protective sleeve on the connector. Inspect the connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If ok, replace the knock sensor.

The converter for banck 2 is also passenger's side. Bolted to the exhaust manifold. Inspect for any leaks near the oxygen sensors and before/after the converter. If none found, the converter is on it's way out and will need to be replaced.

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, Automotive Consultant
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am sending some history for you to look at.
Jan 2017 changed engine. 290,000 miles. mechanic used graphite gaskets at manifold connections. engine vibration and exhaust ticks. had to replace fuel pump. second with only 30,000 miles on it. then replaced gasket on bank 1. did fine for about 3 weeks the vibration retuned and had to replace gasket on bank 2. mechanic used metal gaskets for replacement. di fine for a few weeks and then vibration came back. The codes for the knock sensor and catalytic appeared. The vibration is not continuous, only at low rpm. Van seems to run fine. Sometimes have low acceleration during vibration.

Is the vibration in the engine or in the drive train?

The metal exhaust manifold gaskets shouldn't be a problem as long as they are not leaking. This should make any difference.

I'm just not understanding the 'vibration'. What sort of vibration? The engine vibrates? The transmission vibrates?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry for the delay. I got a call from a tech as we were working. On the vibration: the most vibration seems to be at low RPM and then is intermittent or sporadic. It has never been constant. It is barely noticeable. It is like a phantom.

Ok. SO, the 'vibration' will need to be sort out first. If the vibration affects exhaust output in any way- leaking valve, low compression, lack of spark, too little fuel, too much fuel, etc... this 'will' set the knock and converter codes, like I mentioned above. Seeing as both are pointing to bank 2, you'll need to concentrate efforts on cylinder 2-4-6. I'd recommend- while the engine shows the vibration symptoms- that the spark on these cylinders be checked, an injector balance test be done and cylinder compression be checked.

A leaking exhaust manifold should not present lack of power or vibration symptoms. It presents as a tick or puff noise and usually lack of power. And should not set either code here. If any, it "should" set an oxygen sensor code because the sensor isn't getting enough exhaust to sample.

CORRECTION: Leaking manifold should not present with a vibration, but "can" result in lack of power.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My mechanic has tried many times to find the sort of the vibration but to no avail. It does not deter the performance of the engine. No misfire codes are appearing when codes are checked.

Unfortunately, at this point, I'm not quite sure what to tell you. If it's not a cylinder misfire of any sort, then the knock and converter codes should not be linked. The only thing will would link these is a misfire. It doesn't mention above whether you've tried to clear the codes, but if you haven't, clear the codes and drive the vehicle. If the codes come back as soon as the vibration symptoms return, then they are all linked, and the problem will be something affecting the cylinder in some way.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This I will do. Can I come back to you for advice after I have done this?

Absolutely! This Q&A stays open for as long as you need it. When you have a question, just reply back to this thread, and we can pick it right back up from here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got you saved on my favorites bar. Hopefully I will have a response for you this weekend. Do we sign off now?

Yep. Just close this window out for now, if you're done.

One more thing- after you clear the codes and if/when the engine light comes back, make absolutely sure to record each and every p-code. That'll help us a ton. If you can't easily get access to a code reader, You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
GOT IT!!! You have been a big help. Thanks

You're welcome! Glad to be of some help!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Ron, ***** ***** here with update
PO332 Knock Sensor Circuit Low Input
PO430 Catalytic Converter Bank 2
What's you input on this?

These are the P-Codes for the items you described in our first conversation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK so what do you think is going with these 2 codes. Are they related?

Well... like we had discussed... if there is a misfire of any sort, yes. If no misfire is present, then no. A faulty knock sensor will not "create" any sort of vibration or lack of power. It's simply there to sense when the piston is "knocking" inside the cylinder. And the Converter is to clean the exhaust. And unless it is completely clogged, usually does not result in lack of power or vibration either.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please help me out with "piston knocking inside the cylinder"

When there is a cylinder misfire, this will cause an uneven burn inside of the cylinder. So, instead of the piston just going up and down, it "rattles" inside the cylinder. It usually presents as a "ping" noise. But, doesn't always necessarily present as a very audible sound.

The only other thing I can think of here, is there is an electrical problem or a ECM/PCM (on-board computer) conflict with the new engine that was installed, and the codes are setting falsely, due to this problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are we at a point that I need to find a good shop?

Unfortunately, this is more than likely going to require a "hands-on" type of thing. There are jobs unfortunately, that I cannot fully diagnose through a computer. Seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling... all play a part and figuring out what's going on. I do apologize.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My shop is in the loop with this and they are baffled too. I am going to do some work with GM, Jasper and my shop.
I will keep you posted.

Sounds good. If you got the replacement engine from Jasper... make sure that the current ECM in the vehicle is compatible with this replacement engine. If these codes are setting due to a conflict between the engine and the ECM, this "could" result in the engine going into "limp mode" which would result in a lack of power and "possibly" the vibration. Limp mode "tries" to protect the engine by limiting power and only using basic functions. Definitely causes a lack of power. And if pushed, like I say, "can" result in vibration.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will be checking all this out. I will keep you posted.
Any advice on checking the compatibility?

I would not have that info. Jasper needs to know if their engine is compatible with the stock ECM. The Dealer is probably just going to tell you right off the bat that it isn't. But, unfortunately, no way for me to test compatibility.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will keep you posted.

Sounds good. Hope it all works out!