Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2012 Silverado 2500 HD 55K miles with service stabilink and

Customer Question

2012 Silverado 2500 HD 55K miles with service stabilink and TSC light when I initially turn the steering wheel. EVERY ignition cycle
JA: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Customer: Yes/no but have no problem with steering or braking operation. Also - duramax diesel truck although I am seeing the error on line with many other models as well.
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have been a mechanic for 35 years but do not have the diagnostics reader available to determine fault code. I have disconnected the steering angle sensor and cleaned and lubed the connector and pins per the TSB
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: None I can think of
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

We have a number of these trucks in our fleet and have had to change the steering angle sensor on nearly every one of them. Something in the sensor goes bad causing a flat spot in the sensor signal that the computer picks up.

The biggest issue is that you can't just swap the sensor and be done- you have to have it programmed at GM once it's replaced. It will still run like normal (with the error message displayed) so you don't have to tow it in though.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. I will look to order a new sensor this next week.
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Also, if I have been of some assistance, please take time to rate my response- that's how Just Answer compensates me for my time.