GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Stabilititrak warnings, 2012 large Block 8 cylinder, Took it

Customer Question

Stabilititrak warnings
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2012 large Block 8 cylinder
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took it to Chevy dealer and he started out with $75 scan and another $75 scan if first one does not read.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I have read a lot of folks with same issues and lots of headaches. I also found 100,ooo mile warrenty on this?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

I think the first thing to do is to stop going to that dealer. They sound like bunch of crooks. $75 to check codes and another $75 if they don't get it right the first time? What a joke!

Plugging in a scan tool to check for codes takes about 5 minutes and costs the dealership nothing at all. The dealership acting like it's some sort of in-depth process that somehow justifies a $75 charge is ridiculous.

Off my soap box.

Now, most parts stores will check for trouble codes for free. Do you have an autozone or Orielly, or similar nearby? See if they can run a quick scan to see what might be making the stabilitrack act up- normally it's from either a speed sensor error or a misfire. Once you have a trouble code indicating which system is triggering the fault we can go from there to determine if it's covered under warranty.

What model is your chevy?