Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 09 chevy malibu with a 2.4l engine. The engine

light is on. I have...
I have a 09 chevy malibu with a 2.4l engine. The engine light is on. I have had a code check ran on it and it came back as the cam shaft sensor. I have replaced the sensor and the engine light is still on. I had a code check ran again just to make sure it wasn't something different and it still comes up with codes p0340 and p0341, which is the sensor. I've replaced spark plugs. Just replaced the intake vvt sensor today. The engine light went off after being reset and stayed off until we drove about 3 miles shut car off and turned it back on and engine light is back on again. While driving the car it acts like it stutters until you hit a certain speed or until car has been running for awhile then it doesn't do it anymore, until car has been shut off and has sat for awhile. Also the service traction/esc comes on every once in awhile. I've had it pop up three times since I've had the car and I've only had it 3 weeks.
6/16/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, this vehicle uses two cam sensors, did you replace the intake or exhaust cam sensor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We've replaced the cam shaft position sensor and the intake vvt sensor

The two codes are for the intake camshaft sensor, if you replaced the exhaust camshaft sensor then you replaced the wrong sensor.

Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement - Intake

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement (See: Fuel Delivery and Air Induction\Air Cleaner Fresh Air Duct/Hose\Service and Repair\Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement).
  2. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (7) from the intake camshaft position (CMP) sensor (6).

1. Remove the CMP sensor bolt.
  2. Remove the CMP sensor.

Installation Procedure

Note: Inspect the CMP sensor for damage, replace as necessary.

1. Lubricate the CMP sensor O-ring seal with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the CMP sensor.

Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution (See: Service Precautions\Vehicle Damage Warnings\Fastener Caution).

1. Install the CMP sensor bolt and tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb in) .

1. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (7) to the intake CMP sensor (6).
  2. Install the air cleaner outlet duct.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's the one we have already replaced. We replaced that one first about four days ago and then auto zone suggested that we try the vvt intake sensor, so we replaced that one today

You cleared the codes after replacing the intake camshaft sensor? No damage to the wiring or oil leaking in the connector for the sensor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we cleared the codes and there wasn't any damage to the wires. After we cleared the codes the engine light was off. We drove it about 3 miles, and it started to stutter again and then the service traction esc pop up. No engine light until we stopped and shut car off and then restarted car engine light was on

Ok, if it was the crank sensor id say the crank sensor relearn would have to be done but thats not the case. It could be an issue with the Engine control module. The atatched test gives description of the test procedure. you will need to be able to see the live sensor data to see if its a bad ECM or possible wiring issue sending the cam sensor signal back to the ECM

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay so I just need to have someone run this test procedure then, right?

Thats correct. The sensor is new so it should be good. Have to verify if the ECM is getting the signal or not and follow the test as outlined. Verify the trigger wheel is in one piece the sensor reads off of.

Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor

The camshaft position (CMP) sensor is triggered by a notched reluctor wheel built onto the exhaust camshaft sprocket. The CMP sensor provides four signal pulses every camshaft revolution. Each notch, or feature of the reluctor wheel is of a different size which is used to identify the compression stroke of each cylinder and to enable sequential fuel injection. The CMP sensor is connected to the engine control module (ECM) by the following circuits:

• 5-volt reference
  • Low reference
  • Signal

It reads one off the exhaust and one off the intake

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. Thank you so much. I sure hope this fixes the issue.

It will tell you whats left to resolve it. If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful please use the 5 star system above to leave a positive rating so I can get credit for helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I definitely will. Will I still be able to access all this information after we have ended?

Yes, just come back to this question, its always on the website and I will follow up if needed.

HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. Thank you again do much.

You are welcome! Thank you!