Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

Hooking up sequential led lights for L and R rear of car. I

Customer Question

Hi, hooking up sequential led lights for L and R rear of car. I need correct wires to connect direction/turn, brake and tail lights. I got the yellow sequential turn signal lights and reverse along with brake, but with directional on and brake applied the brake stops the turn signal, therefore only bright led reds come on and the yellow sequential lights stop while brake pedal is pressed
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: oh yes, even used a tester light with ground and tester light will display turn signal on right side for example to green wire and as soon brake is applied the stop lights come on with no yellow signal, the brake light overrides the signal. the seller of the light states the brake and turn signal should work at same time and not brake light over riding the signal light. some thing in my connections are in correct
JA: What year is your LTD?
Customer: 2011 chevy hhr
JA: Are you fixing your LTD yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its add on light placed across the lower part of the tail gate
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: what does this cost
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Chevy Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: even the 5
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
brb
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I AM BACK
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
IS ANYONE THERE?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you have a part # for the addd on light?

I'll post the wiring diagram below

Yellow - left turn

Dark green - right turn

Brown - Park/tail lamps

The way the HHR is wired is so that when you say have the right turn signal on and hitthe brakes both rear brake lights light up and there is no turn signal.

If my answer has helped you please help me by rating or accepting. Rating/accepting does not cost you extra, it just ensures I am credited for my time and effort. As always any follow up questions concerning this issue are always free even after rating/accepting. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
NO
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
IS THERE A WAY TO HAVE THE BRAKES ON IN RED LED BAR AND THE YELLOW LED BAR FLASHING WHILE BRAKE IS APPLIED. SO, IN OTHER WORDS, YOU ARE TURNING RIGHT AND APPLY RIGHT SIDE TURNING SIGNAL, ALL TURN SIGNALS TURN RIGHT INCLUDING ADDED LED LIGHT BAR. THEN WHEN I APPLY BRAKE TO STOP TO TURN RIGHT THE LED BAR TURNS ALL RED FOR BRAKE FUNCTION, CANCELING THE YELLOW RIGHT SIDE TURN SIGNAL
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Lou P here,

I can help with this I will need you to work with me on it a but,

couple of questions for you

1. do you have a link or part info to where you got the light from?
  2. how many wires are on the lights you are wanting to install?
  3. can you upload a few pictures of the wiring and the light assembly?

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, THE BROWN WIRE ACT AS TURN SIGNAL AND OR TAIL LIGHTS. SO WHEN HOOKING UP THE LED STRIP BAR, THE YELLOW SIGNAL TURNS BOTH SIDES (2 INDIVIDUAL L AND R SIDE LED BAR STRIPS, CONNECTED THROUGH A COMMON/COMBINED INPUT FROM VARIOUS FUNCTIONS, REVERSE, WORKS FINE, HAD TO HOOK UP SIGNALS TO FRONT TURN SIGNALS OF CAR, BUT WHEN I HOOK THE BROWN WIRE TO THE LED LIGHT STRIPS TAIL/ BRAKE LIGHT FEATURE OF THE LED, THE BOTH LED STRIPS TURN RED, BUT WITH TURN SIGNAL ACTIVATED SUCH AS STOP SIGN ETC, BOTH LED STRIPS WILL FLASH INSTEAD OF ONE SIDE AS SIGNAL, YELLOW AND OTHER SIDE AS BRAKE AS PROMISED TO DO BY SELLER OF LED STRIP) I NEED A DIFFERENT CONNECTION FOR BRAKE/TAIL LIGHTS OTHER THAN THE CHEVY HHR BROWN WIRE. THANKS
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

brown is for the parking lamps, dark blue on left and light blue on right are for turn signals. try that. let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
232319913933 THIS IS THE EBAY ITEM NUMBER TO LOOK AT THE LED REAR LIGHT BAR I PURCHASED. AT THIS POINT I NEED THE BRAKE/TAIL LIGHT COLORED WIRE. IT SEEMS LIKE SOME OF THE CHEVY'S WIRE PERFORM TWO FUNCTION OF BOTH SIGNAL AND BRAKE? SO WHEN LED BAR LIGHT TURN SIGNAL IS ACTIVATED IT WORKS, BUT WHEN APPLY THE BRAKE BOTH LED LIGHT BARS TURN RED, BLINKING? HOPEFULLY SEEING WHAT I AM USING FOR A PART WILL HELP YOU. AGAIN, IS THERE A SEPARATE BRAKE LIGHT FUNCTION WIRE IN THE CHEVY HHR I CAN TAP OFF OF.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

ok i see what is happening now, also i gave you the wrong wire colors i have given you the front light wiring, sorry,

yes the rear only use 1 dual filament bulb so 1 circuit is the taillight, the other is the brake/turn signal. there would be no way to change this. the body control module sends the power out on the same wiring, so there is no additional wiring that can be used .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well it makes sense now
Ok then, is there a wiRe to tap off from at or around brake medal activation. Before it powers or signals the brake portion of the BCM.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

no :(

there is only 1 signal wire and the commands are shared via communication lines.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there is no wire under the dash board that become q2 volts when brake is pressed down on
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
12**
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

oh, i think i see where you are going with this.

lol,

let me pull it up again.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

your a smart guy, cant believe i didnt think of this, let me forward you a application :)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What about some sort of resistor on brown wire at the tail light assm. At the rear
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

ah ok, so this model has a brake pedal position sensor, not a typical on off switch style. let me check one other thing

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

darn, no cruise control cancel switch. my man, there is no way that i know or can electrically see to separate the turn and stop wires.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There must be a way to get the proper volt/amps at the brown wire at tail light assembly to activate the leds. How does the light bulb know to flash or steady brake bightness... seriously how does the bulb know what to do brake or flash same light
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

the body control module either sends the voltage straight or pulses it.

its not like old cars where there is a flasher and stuff, its all control module controlled.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

there may be one option. I have to step away for a bit, Ill get back to you a little later. see what I can do, what i would do if i was in your situation.

Lou

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I got yellow leds to flash by running a wiRe from rear to front wire up front. So that works, yellow get cancel if I hook up brake red led wire to brown or green wiRe near the bulb.