Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2010 Camaro has brake and turn signal lights that all work…

2010 Camaro has brake and...
2010 Camaro has brake and turn signal lights that all work properly, but high third brake light won't come on. I Tried a new factory third brake light new from GM and still no high brake light.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/14/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

Is the 3rd brake light getting ground on the black wire?

Is it getting power on the white wire from Body control module?

If the white power is missing then you need to check for power out of the BCM on the white wire pin 11 connector X4. Power there means the wire is broken, no power means the BCM is bad.

Please make sure to rate my answer prior to logging off, as this is how I get credit for helping you. If you have not yet received 5 star excellent service from me. Please follow up so you get everything from me that you expected from the deposit you have already paid, which I get nothing of till you rate me. Rating does not close the post nor prevent replying at a later date.

Thanks Moose

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Black wire is grounded at main wiring loom, and there is power to white wire at main harness connector as well. There is a two foot long extension harness with the two wire ( black and white) that connect from the main harness to the high mount light. I checked resistence of this harness and found that There is around a 2 ohm resistance on each wire on this harness from one end to the other. Is this enough to cause the light to not get full power and not work? How can I test the light itself? Like I said before, the old one or the new one do not light up at all. I could have gotten a bad light from GM.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm at work, and don't have access to the vehicle right now to test anything until later. So I don't think a phone call will be of much benefit for now.

That little amount of resistance is not enough to cause issues. You can test the light by wiring it direct to the battery.