Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Horn blows when trying to crank the car. The engine doesn't…

horn blows when trying...

horn blows when trying to crank the car. The engine doesn't turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

The engine light is on but it is for emission related problem

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Impala

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am fixing it myself. i have swapped relays around and nothing works. i jumped a wire and made it crank earlier

6/11/2017
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

I assume then you retrieved the trouble codes. What were they?

Is there a security or theft light on or flashing?

What engine is in this and s it auto or manual transmission?

What wire did you jump earlier in order to get it to crank? Does that no longer work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it always flashes. I jumped the 87 and 30 pin where the relay sits in the engine compartment electrical box

Does jumping 87 to 30 work anymore?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
automatic and the only trouble code I get is for emissions it need a new catalytic converter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
as long as the key is in the on position, it will run. 2003 is the year
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3.7 I believe

What engine is in this?

No it is either a 3.4 or 3.8 just tell the 8th digit of the vin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3.7 v6

E is 3.4 and K is 3.8

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sry. 3.4
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I turn the key to crank it, the horn will start blowing

And is this the crank relay you are jumping?

See if the abs/pcm fuse is blown

It s in the LEFT I/P JUNCTION BLOCK , LEFT SIDE OF DASH, BEHIND ACCESS PANEL

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no fuses blown. ive pulled all fuses and checked. first thing I looked for.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will look again brb

also check the pcm (crank) same spot.

Ok, get a helper and have them turn the key to start while you put your finger tips on that crank relay under the hood and feel if it clicks or not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
fuses good. to think of it, the light always flashed but not as fast as it is right now

next remove that crank relay and test them prongs in that empty socket for voltage with either a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light. You should have one spot hot with key off and then with key on run/start an additional hot, let me know the results and if you use a voltmeter also how many volts.

what light? The check engine light? Do you have sing to read those codes on you right now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yeah did that too. it didn't click. if it is the anti theft, how do I get past it? don't have a key fob. the light I'm talking about right now is anti theft light
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
voltage was good on all ports. had 12 volts

From what I read the anti-theft would shut down the fuel system so I don't think it's that.

So you had 12 volts on 2 spots inside that relay socket?

Even if we get it to crank if that theft light is still flashing, it may not start.

See if you have a spare key or clean that key.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no spare key. hmm. It was actually broke down at a restaurant and I got it cranked and it drove home fine, but when I had it shut off, it did the same thing

I am seeing that the relay is grounded through the pcm I assume after it gets the ok from the neutral switch in the transmission. Can you pull codes again right now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sure

You can also try to rule out that neutral switch by disconnecting it and jump together the 2 wires. give me a second to see which wires.

actually I have been staring at that diagram for a few minutes not and cannot figure out which wires. Here it is, maybe you can figure that out, But I cannot.

Get them codes yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It won't link up. I run the car on and hit link on my scanner and it isn't even showing the emission code.

No communication?

I believe they are powered through the cigar lighter use so either check that fuse or see if the cigar lighter works.

No I was wrong on this one, it's the clstr/bcm fuse in the LEFT I/P JUNCTION BLOCK , LEFT SIDE OF DASH, BEHIND ACCESS PANEL

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's got power, that's how my tester will work.

what tester?

Check the purple wire pin 2 on the back of that dlc connector for being backed out of the connector.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can get it to turn over by putting a jumper n those pins. I just did it. My scan tool

What pins? Be more specific!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
87 and 30 pin. I just found something

what did you just find?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a switch under the dash I turned it off and the anti theft light went out
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then I turn the key to try and crank it and the horn didn't blow
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It didn't crank because I had the relay out

try either backprobing or disconnect connector 2 at the pcm and jump that yellow/black wire at pin 76 to ground then turn the key to start and see if it cranks over now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

What??? What switch under the dash? Did someone hook up a theft bypass or something?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. It cranked. I hadn't done what u said yet though
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think they did.

So it was that switch? What is that switch for, did someone add that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's the GF car and she got it from a guy she works with. She had a blower in it for a while but I don't think they would've put something like in it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well it's running now. Thanks for your help.

great, Don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do