Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

ALL new tie rods, ball joints sway bar links.....then an…

ALL new tie rods...

ALL new tie rods, ball joints sway bar links.....then an alignment.....steering was nice for a month and a half.....now getting sloppy again

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2005 silverado 1500 2wd v6 base model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, myself....hopefully. checked all the joints, and everything is tight. wondering if maybe steering box is wearing out?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing i can think of

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2017
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Its quite possibly the idler arm, have you checked that?

not sure best way to check it

standby please

with the front of the vehicle up off the ground. have someone move the steering wheel right and left and keep your hand on the idler arm connection to the cross link. if you feel any play then it needs replaced

no play

ok, do the same with the pitman arm

rack and pinion

ok, you need the procedure?

please.....no clue here

ok, this will take a while. i appreciate your patience

here you are, sorry they arent in order

17c5869e-6263-4ab3-af5f-...PNG17c5869...PNG8d39ffad-1ef1-4360-8e23-...PNG8d39ffa...PNG1396969f-b3fc-46be-8f67-...PNG1396969...PNG5d51ac7e-e8f9-4387-8842-...PNG5d51ac7...PNGbbe31013-9ab1-4043-bd22-...PNGbbe3101...PNGe685d3d5-fe73-4985-8b02-...PNGe685d3d...PNG

cont'd

9c413f2e-1118-4cf9-9160-...PNG9c413f2...PNG265d8050-5929-4e31-b709-...PNG265d805...PNG15770d85-6dcd-4646-aef7-...PNG15770d8...PNG1430c917-6733-40be-bc00-...PNG1430c91...PNG

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. thank you and have a great weekend

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
One more quick detail? I can spin the input shaft from the outside of the rack and pinion by hand about 1/8 of a turn, and one of the bellows is obviously leaking, but i'm not very low on power steering fluid. No grinding or play anywhere else that I can find.....any pointers on what to look for before replacing the rack and pinion?

well the seal is leaking on the end of the rack, that will be fixed when replacing the rack. and if youre talking about spinning the steering gear, thats also part of the rack assembly.

thank you

david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic