Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Was driving when check gage light came on. oil pressure was…

Was driving when check...

Was driving when check gage light came on. oil pressure was zero. got off road and shut it off. underside covered in oil. thought the oil filter may of blow seal. returned later with oil and new filter. put on filter and filled with 4 Q. started motor and pressure was around 50 no oil leaking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

Sorry was not finished. went to put on trailer to haul to house and my son said their was oil coming out of it when I got up the ramps. shut it off and looked under and it was pouring out like you turned a bottle over to pour it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

1997 suburban 1500 4wd. and no have not done any work on it lately. replace block about 12 year ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not yet. trying to grasp why it would not leak setting level but started either when it got on an incline or due to the load on the motor from putting on the trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't know

5/25/2017
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon.

Did it look like the oil was coming from the oil cooler lines?

It doesn't seem to be leaking at all with the engine off right (other than the oil dribbling off)?

Any phone call requests you may see are automated- not generated by me.

no it looked like it was coming from above the oil filter

Maybe from the side of the block?

Was it still leaking after the engine was off?

Can you see oil on the side of the block near the exhaust manifold?

no it stopped when I shut engine off. could not see clearly due to it getting dark and have not had a chance to look at it up close yet. looked to be coming from above the exhaust pipe and oil filter on that end of the manifold. could it be the sending unit
thanks, ***** ***** is it

Let me know if you can pinpoint the location (you can also attach pictures here if you would like) and I can give you some pointers on what to replace.

ok thanks

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Also, don't forget to rate my response. That's how Just Answer compensates me for my time.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician