Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I'm changing out my steering box Does the lower control

Customer Question

I'm changing out my steering box Does the lower control steering arm just drop off the bottom of the old box?
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: yes. I'm changing out the steering box and wiull flush system and re fill after i grt the new box in. Now answer my first question
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1993 GMC K1500
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

You need to rent or borrow a pitman arm puller to get the pitman arm off the old gearbox. Sometimes you can pry them off, but most of the time you need the puller. Also, make sure to check the splines, usually they are keyed to only go on one way.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!