Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2005 duramax the tach turn signals and some of the

Customer Question
light stopped working one morning...
I have a 2005 duramax the tach turn signals and some of the light stopped working one morning on my way to work. After work when I went to leave I turned the key to the run position and I'll lights came on as usual. As soon as I hit the starter everything goes blank and I only get a weak little click from the fuse box. I've checked all fuses and swapped relays along with connections to ecm and Tcm for broken wires or bent pins and found no issues. You can turn the key to the run position and jump the starter relay in the underhood fuse box and the truck will start and run normal with no lack of power just part of the instrument panel doesn't work
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: The steering wheel turns normal but doesn't lock with the key off like most do. I have the same issues with my spare key as the key I use every day
JA: What is the model of your '05 GM?
Customer: 2005 chevy 2500 duramax
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes Im fixing it myself. I've tried checking all fuses for broken or loose connections disconnected the batteries and let them set overnight had the batteries tested and they are 12.7 volts. I've also looked at the wiring harness for damaged wires
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
5/16/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you havent yet, inspect the battery cables at and leading from the battery(ies) for any loose or corrosion issues.I have seen loose and corroded cables cause this fault here with this needing repaired to resolve this issue.If this is or was checked already and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I checked both batteries and all ground connections and I'm still receiving the same issues. Is it possible for only part of the ecm to go bad? Also the truck is tuned with efi live. Is it possible that the tunes are the issue

I apologize for the delay.

This sounds more like a possible electronic ignition switch fault.I have had to replace this switch before for this issue.If you have a multi meter I may be able to walk you through some testing here just let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

I've thought about the ignition switch but would that cause part of the dash lights to not work including the turn signals and that tach? I have a multi meter if you want to give me the steps to checking the ignition. I'm curious on what could tie all of those things together as the dash went out and when I went to restart the truck the ignition wouldn't start the truck. Sounds like I'm getting a click from around the fuse box however no click or anything at the starter when the key is turned to the start position. I can put a wire between the 12v constant wire at the relay to the wire going to the starter and the truck will fire just fine.

Can you access the ignition switch wiring connection under the dash or at the switch itself?

I can. Can the ignition switch cause the the dash issues?

Yes it can.It sends out various voltage signals on various wires and one or more of these wires failing to send out the correct voltage will cause this fault here.Below is the connector layout for this switch.If you look you will see there is a red/white and red wire that is battery positive voltage.These 2 should have around 12 volts dc at all times.If any of these 2 are missing the voltage signal then this is not the switch.If they have the correct voltage signals test the other wires for near 12 volts in the key position indicated with the switch plugged in back probing the connection to test this signal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dk1d87t582ct7wx/ign-05-16.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Tested the wires at the ignition switch and the voltage is good. What would you Consider the next step?

Have you checked for any fault codes in all computers in your vehicle using a fully compatible scan tool that will plug in and can read all computers for any fault codes set?

I've checked for codes and the only ones that come up are my p0090 code and a code for the check engine light not working. I've had some luck with it working periodically. I've traced wires all the way from the steering column to the fuse box with no luck of finding any damaged wires. Sometimes driving down the road everything will work as it should until you set the cruise or use the turn signals then everything goes back on the blink. If that switch is bad could it cause the ecm to have a faulty reading and not let the ignition work? Almost like it's kicking the security system on the truck or putting the ecm into a protection mode? I do know that the computer will send the truck to a protection tune in the ecm if something malfunctions. My question is with the truck being tuned with efi live could the reflash be the cause of my issues? Could the computer just need reflashed if it's in a protection setting? Or could something in the turnsignal switch on the steering column cause a short that's not allowing the truck to start
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago

It is very possible the re flash is the cause here if the calibrations have any glitches in them.You can have it reflashed by a dealer back to stock or from an after market facility that can do the same flash that it already has to see if it resolves the fault.

Also if the fault codes were not checked with a fully compatible scan tool then you may only be able to read the engine computer.A fully compatible scan tool will also read the body computer for codes as well as other computers as there may be a code set in a different computer then what the scan tool that was used previously was unable to pick up on.

Wiring from the ignition switch or turn signal switch can be an issue as well here.The BCM failing may also be another cause here.

You may have to have this looked into/tested further by a facility that has a scan tool for all computers for your vehicle to locate and repair this issue.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician