Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I took my LLC apart for head gaskets (something I will never

Customer Question

Hi... I took my LLC apart for head gaskets (something I will never do again, ever, lol) and am wanting advice on the head gaskets. Type, dry or sealer on installation, anything that might prevent this happening again. Truck has been great, 260k on it, motors still sound except for the overheating pulling a load.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: It is apart, did all the diagnostics, found bad head gaskets
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 05, 2500 crew 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It is apart.... I am fixing myself, mechanic with 30+years experience
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

It goes on dry and I prefer using Felpro. Make sure to use new head bolts for this engine.

As to preventing this from re-occurring, I would stay away from the long lift coolant and use regular coolant and flush once a year.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Please note the continued non- rating of answers will result in experts no longer willing to answer your questions as they realize that they will not be compensated for their time, knowledge and services.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Unless you have any other questions on this specific issue, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks