Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Popping noise in front wheel area. Wheel, months. 10

Popping noise in front...

Popping noise in front wheel area

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Wheel, months

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

10 Silverado 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I replaced upper and lower control arms 2 years ago,do they need to be replaced as well?

5/13/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Your issue could be a few things. I would suspect the stabilizer arm bushings(#16 and 17 in suspension), could be the ball joints(#14 and 10 suspension), the tie rod ends(#1 steering), or if the springs have shifted in the seat(#4 and 7 suspension), they will cause a popping noise.

All of these things could cause your condition. The way to confirm these issues, is to lift and secure the vehicle. Remove the front tires and visually inspect these areas. You will be seeing wear in the form of loose or damages component or boost for the joints.

All these things need to be inspected to verify good condition. I suspect the ball joints or tie rod ends to be the issue, though.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You wouldn't​ suspect the hub assembly?
Phone call session started

I have tried to call you. I will return the call shortly. In the meantime, is the noise a grinding noise? Is it consistent with the revolutions of the wheel?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No grinding. Just popping. You can hear it when the driver's side door opens and closes. I am going to jack it up. Please call again. I'll have my phone off silent this time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also feel it when the truck turns, like it's rolling over on the tire. Outside wear on tire is bad as I suspect an alignment will be order when fixed.

I am calling now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Try(###) ###-#### Cell phone is ignoring the call for whatever reason

So this is more of a rumbling? If so, then I will have to suspect the bearing to be faulty. If this was just a popping upon acceleration or deceleration then I would suspect a ball joint, but if this is a constant sound as the wheel is turning, then the bearing would be the the suspect.

Will do.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was neither the ball joints or tire rods. Everything is solid in the wheel area. Anymore ideas?

Good morning. Have you inspected the stabilizer arm bushing or the spring seating? The CV axle could also be the issue. If neither one of these false, then I would consider replacing the wheel bearing.