GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I seem to have some really bad wiring problems with the

Customer Question

I seem to have some really bad wiring problems with the front turn signals on my 1987 chevy van
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: the right signal is on all the time solid when the van is off and the left signal on the side is lit solid as well have not checked fuses yet. I will do that next
JA: What is the model of your '87 Chevy?
Customer: its a 3/4 ton chevy full size van
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its an RV with a Chevy front end
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: sorry, my internet connection went down for a while
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

Having the signals on ,even if the van is off, tells you ,we have a short to ground keeping that circuit alive even after switch is off

are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do you have a test light & or power probe for testing ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'd like to fix it myself, yes
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a test light. I have checked the fuses they are fine. I have the reaR tail lights removed (I.m replacing them with LED's
and the indicator light on the dash is staying lit too.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

if you are that impatient ,I will opt out and let another expert to assist you, I need a few minutes to look up the wiring diagram

what you expect here ?,are you looking for a magical answer ?,where I tell you change this and that will fix it and you saying you have a really bad wiring problem

good luck to you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had no idea you were looking something up, you did not tell me that, I thought we lost the connection
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
wow! I find your reply pretty rude man, I'm certainly not expecting a "magical answer". I'm only expecting you to communicate is all. You disapeared without even telling me that you were.
Expert:  david craig replied 5 months ago.

Hi Im David, standby while i pull up some wiring diagrams for you.

pull the highlighted fuse and see if the lights go out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
k

let me know what happens

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
pulled the fuse, light still on

ok, now you need to putt a voltmeter on the connector for the turn signals. select ohms on the meter and probe each wire in each connector to see which ones are grounded.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just so you know, it's an old Rv that I am restoring. I have pulled a bunch of the wiring apart as there are lots of running lights on this unit. I completely disonected the wires to the tail lights and all the upper running lights. Right now I am just trying to get the front turn signals to work properly.

diagram

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
basically I can put the test light on the individual wires to see which one is grounded short?

yes a test light and the clip hooked up to the battery.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry, so the clip is hooked to a ground then I probe each wire. When I find the one that's bad Do I just replace the wire

when you check for a ground with a test light, you hook up the clip to the positive terminal of the battery. if it lights, its grounded