Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

04 Chevy Suburban. Filling the gas tank takes forever.

Customer Question

quot;"04 Chevy Suburban. Filling the gas tank takes forever. Nozzle trips every 2 seconds or so. I think thats why the prvious owner sold it. Vent problem? How to correct it?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts great. Not a gas hog
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried to see if the vent was open I'm not good at this.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Its just an ongoing problem
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I believe that your issue will be the EVAP vent solenoid, or the EVAP canister itself. Both could potentially create this issue because of the pressure that gets built up in the tank. I am leaning more toward the canister failing. The charcoal pack inside sometimes burst and clogs the canister preventing proper circulation. The valve could also be stuck closed, causing the pressures to rise.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Give me a moment, please, to review a few things.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Here, I am providing some testing information for the valve. The canister will have to be visually inspected, which will require removing it from the vehicle.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

I have attached canister replacement procedure for you. Also, I have attached component location information.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

You should have these components (EVAP canister and canister valve) inspected and replaced as needed.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed