Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Well i have 40 psi fuel pressure on 2002 tahoe. Changed fuel

Customer Question
Well i have 40 psi...
Well i have 40 psi fuel pressure on 2002 tahoe. Changed fuel filter and fuel pump. Still have 40 psi fuel. Tahoe will start up and idle at 800 then after about 10-15 seconds it will start loading up on fuel an puffing black smoke. Turn engine off then fire it back up same thing. Have lean code both banks
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: Outside under drivers door
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Maf sensor, fuel pump and filter. Pressure reading is 40. When I unplug regulator it jumps to 48 psi
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Had a newer used exhaust put on it. Used same o2 sensors. For some reason still has low fuel pressure
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
5/12/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 6 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Do you have a hand held vacuum pump with gage?

No I dont
I can get one. I wouldnt mind the phone call but its 830pm.

HI,

ok, based upon the symptoms, I believe you either have a vacuum leak or faulty fuel pressure regulator and will need a vacuum pump with gage to test.

Give me a moment to type up the test for you

If you give me a little list of items I would need for testing i can gather them up and do it tomorrow. I do my own mechanics but this one has me stumped
Whole story I took it over to a mechanic to have a transmission put in it because I don't have a lift and I don't want to do it off the ground so we put the new transmission in it you put the exhaust from a 2001 Tahoe and it and use the existing O2 sensors and after that I brought it home and when I drove after I drove it 15 miles it started running poopy and when I got back to town it would want to die at lights and running rough.

Hi

Ok, you will just need a vacuum pump with gage.

With engine idling, and fuel pressure gage where you can monitor it, disconnect the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and attach the vacuum pump to the fuel pressure regulator. Apply 12-14 inches of vacuum.

Does the fuel pressure drop 3-10psi?

If yes, then you will need to check all vacuum hoses and repair leaks.

If no, then replace the fuel pressure regulator.

I can get it to drop 5 psi just by putting a hose on the regulator and sucking on the hose.

HI,

Ok, you need to check for a vacuum leak in the hoses, air intake tube, and intake manifold gasket

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you

None of this worked. Dropping off with mechanic tomorrow
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager