GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I had to change the brake line going to back wheels. When I

Customer Question

I had to change the brake line going to back wheels. When I tried to bleed them I didn't have any help so I bought a little bleeder kit, well, still couldn't get much fluid to bleed out. So, I took to a garage and they bled the lines for me. This was approximately a week ago. A couple days ago I noticed my front brakes were heating up, both sides. Probably doing it from since I drove it out of the garage. Anyways, both front brakes are sticking and not releasing.
JA: I'm trying to find the right Chevy Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Have you checked the fluid? How old are the brakes?
Customer: Just wondering whether they used the correct procedure to bleed???
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1999 3/4 ton Silverado
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Read my previous post
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Guess that it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

so your problem is both front brakes will lock up and smoke ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Brakes are not locked up but heating up. Jacked each front wheel up and they do not spin freely like they should, takes some effort to turn
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

when they are locked up if you remove both lines off the master cylinder will that unlock them ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is a scan tool required to bleed the brake system, If so, don't think they did that. Bled the old conventional way. My brakes are ABS
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

bled or not bled even with air in the system that would never cause them to lock up

try what i said next

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not tried removing both lines from my master cylinder, is that something that I need to do? I don't really want to get more air in the system, brake pedal is firm. I may try opening the bleed valve on each wheel and see if that frees them up.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

yes see if that unlocks the brakes