Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

04 epica cranks but wont start after having coil 3 wires

Customer Question

04 epica cranks but wont start after having coil 3 wires insulation brittle falling off & shorted each other out on the #6 coil while running & disconnecting to dtermine which cyl has a missfire. it just quit alltogether. fuses good in underhood fusebox
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect the coil wiring to make sure no wiring is shorted or damaged leading from the computer to any components especially the coils.If any damage is found it will need repaired.If the ECM was not programmed to your vehicle this will cause this fault here and the ECM has to be programmed by a dealer or repair facility that has access to programming for it to allow starting at all.I would have this done as well here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. So my only choice to take to dealer which i didnt want to spend bunch of money. Wiring all good since i fixed that so your info not help much. Thought maybe has security system or other fuse somewhere. I do have code reader & am commercial transport mechanic
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Did you have the ecm programmed to your vehicle at all?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. It was running with original till that puff smoke from #6 coil wires. Would that cause ecm damage? I did get car towed to dealer last nite. I put ebay ecm on front seat if they deem original nfg. Then they can program
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

The smoke from the coil can cause ecm damage and on top of that the ecm has to be programmed when it is replaced in order for your vehicle to start and run properly.The dealer can reprogram the ecm but the ecm has to be installed in the vehicle with the vehicle at the dealer or a facility that has access to GM programming.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Just got car back from dealer. Was blown fuse ECM EF15. 20 Amp. I had chkd all fuses & were all ok so i must have missed where. ECM did not need programming as it was still ok. They also said they repaired coil harness. i cant find where so that was $400 lesson for me. Do i still have to pay you?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

That is great to hear the fault has been located and repaired.Leaving a rating here is up to you as it is not required.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Thx. I wont. I may need help again & if we can fix without taking to dealer i will gladly pay & rate your sevice
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Sounds good.

Thanks Pete