Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

Trying to figure out if my power steering pump is

Customer Question

trying to figure out if my power steering pump is bad-changed once-put on used one.still gets real hard to turn and then it will free up.Took it to Les Schab and they said it was the rack and pinion and it was leaking? Said it would cost 750 dollars to fix so I brought it home.I checked it and I couldnt see it leaking and fluid was full? I think they thought it was leaking because we filled it to full which we did.My question is would it be smart to try another power steering before tackling rack system which ive never done
JA: The Chevy Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. What is the color and consistency of the fluid? And where exactly are you finding it?
Customer: I think it looks ok?
JA: What year is your 750?
Customer: 2002 chevy impala with 200000 miles on it
JA: Are you fixing your 750 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Put new inner and outer tie rods on plus used pump.Yes I have help-they think we should change rack and pinion
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just his advice Thank You- Harvey
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

First, did you bleed the system to ensure no air pockets?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no-dont know how
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All I want is your advice and thats all? If you think youre advice is worth more then ill go on youtube and get some free advice
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good bye
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, different tech here, Lou, I can help with this.

is the problem the same before and after the rack was replaced?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

this is not a power steering pump issue, more likely it is the steering shaft that goes from the steering wheel to the rack and pinion, there are 2 small joints in the shaft that bind at a certain spot while turning, this is very common. I will send you a photo of the shaft so you can see what I am talking about. Lou

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

click the link below

>>>>>>>>>>STEERING SHAFT<<<<<<<<<<<

HOPE THIS HELPS!!

I will do what I can to help you Lori, I hope you give me the chance, thanks!

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 months ago.

I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may receive my credit for assisting you. Thank you.