GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

97 chevy 3500 dually gets stuck in fifth gear...Why?

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the check engine light coming on with this issue here or have fault codes been checked?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No fault codes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Has anything been tested or checked?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I pulled the shifter and I can easily shift it out of fifth, but when I bolt the shifter back in, it locks up. I welded and dressed the shifting paw some but still no good
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Is this a manual or automatic transmission here?It sounds to be manual but I want to make sure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
manual
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,unfortunately my info is limited on this manual transmission in your model here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete