HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Grinding noise from under the vehicle. 2004 chevy suburban

Customer Question

Grinding noise from under the vehicle.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: 2004 chevy suburban It started last week. I tried it in forward and reverse. It makes a horrible noise.
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to decide if I can fix it. I tried it in 4 x 4 and the noise went away. Back to 2x and the noise is back, back to 4x4 and the noise is gone. Back to 2x and the noise is gone, temporarily. Drove it to work and back (10miles) and the noise started again. Worried it is the transfer case
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just had a new starter put in. 200k miles on the vehicle, everything else seems fine. Transmission fluid is ok. I haven't used this mechanic chat service before. How does it work
Category: Chevy
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
vehicle vin number is *****
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello yes it can be an issue with the transfer case from what you are describing. Since it changes with the transfer case shifting in and out of 4x4 this is also a good indication it in the transfer case. Check the fluid level and condition in the transfer case, see if it shows signs of metal shaving or a fluid leak. It could be in the plantary gear set of the case. If the fluid level looks ok you would have to put the truck up on jacks and verify the source of the noise is coming from the transfer case itself before removal of it and either replacement or overhaul of the transfer case.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my mobile doesn't have good reception where I am
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

No problem, take your time to respond f need be.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think I will try changing the fluid in the case and look at what comes out and go from there. This sort of repair is more serious than what I have previously repaired. I am more of a starter, alternator, brakes kind of home mechanic. I realize you don't know me personally, but if it does need a new or rebuilt transfer case how big of a job is that? I would probably need to buy a transmission jack and some tools.... kind of concerned about money if I take it to a mechanic.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Its a semi complicated job. You have to remove the front and rear driveshaft Disconnect any wiring or linkage for the transfer case. Unbolt the case from the trans and lower it down. In a suburban its a big case/bulky on your back. Then you have to be sure when installing you change any gaskets in between the trans and transfer case. reassemble. Refill both the transfer case and top off any lost trans fluid. Its not a cheap item to replace but if youre not comfotable it would be bes to let a trans or driveline shop look at it and overhaul it or replace it.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating so I get credit for assisting you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello?