Marvin the Mechanic
Marvin the Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mechanic for 36 years
32137885

2007 Tahoe nav system doesn't work. I get the DISC INSTALLED

Customer Question

2007 Tahoe nav system doesn't work. I get the DISC INSTALLED IS NOT A MAP DISC.
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: SORRY. I'M JUST WONDERING IF THESE DISCS EXPIRE AFTER AWHILE & I NEED TO GET AN UPDATED DISC????
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: THAT'S IT. THX.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Marvin the Mechanic replied 5 months ago.

The disc do not expire. What happens is the roads change with all the new construction. So the discs need to updated so that they have the most current roads on the maps. If you are getting this message and the disc is in the unit. The most common problem is the DVD reader for the map disc has failed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK...SO GETTING A NEW DISC IS NOT THE ANSWER. ARE YOU SAYING THERE IS NOT AN OBVIOUS FIX OR SOMETHING I CAN TRY MYSELF? THAT I JUST NEED TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER & HAVE THEM INVESTIGATE? I SEE A LOT OF FORUMS ON THIS ISSUE...GET THE IMPRESSION THIS IS A FAIRLY COMMON ISSUE RELATING TO THE ANTENNA??? WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO????

If the disc has a lot of scratches then a new disc might help. You could try clean the disc and try that.

I believe that if there was an antenna problem then the disc would show a map, but it would not show where you are at.