Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

On my 193 suburban 1500 I am replacing the distributor relay

Customer Question

on my 193 suburban 1500 I am replacing the distributor relay switch. The wire that connects to it, I have found, is so old that the end broke instead of bendind to allow removal. So, now I am looking at the part that the wire connects to, which sits right below the rotor. I have tried raising the rotor but it seems very solid on the shaft. How do I go about removing it in order to replace the part the wire originates from?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 4 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 4 months ago.

there is no such part as a relay switch.

I believe you are referring to the distributor pick up coil.

the rotor sticks to the shaft often. use a screw driver to help release it from the shaft.

in order to replace the pick up coil, the distributor has to be removed, then drive out the pin on the bottom drive gear, remove the gear and then lift up the shaft out of the distributor. then you can remove the pick up coil.

Roy

please take a moment and rate my service. please hit 5 stars so the site will pay me for my efforts. it is the only way we get paid for our efforts.