Doctor D
Doctor D, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master , 20 Years Experience
5480360

2000 chevy tahoe it sounds like im trying to tumble large

Customer Question

2000 chevy tahoe it sounds like im trying to tumble large rocks when i start the truck
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes yes
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ok the new upper radiator hose is going flat. -right now I am trying to figure out where to start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the tahoe is chugging a bit when i step on the gas. like it is struggling to go
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Doctor D replied 4 months ago.

Let clarify a bit of these symptoms.

SO the engine starts but sound rattly when running? or just starting?

Does the noise increase with RMP's?

How is the oil level, and is it clean?

I don't see a milage reading above, How many do we have?

And I also don't see an engine size, may I have that info as well please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The engine is a v-8 the noise and hard clunking is only trying to turn it over to start. The tahoe chugs a bit when accelerating. But there isn't any clunky sounds.
Oil needs changed. But it's full. Radiator is good. New upper radiator hose is going flat every few days.
Some times the tahoe starts up no issues.
Expert:  Doctor D replied 4 months ago.

Naturally noises are the toughest for us to help here as we cannot hear the noise.

With age and miles and "maybe" lack of maintenance it could easily be mechanical failure.

What I do with mechanical failures is use a stethoscope and listen to what part of the engine the noise is coming from..

A good start also is a good compression test and see how healthy the internal chambers are.

Otherwise after that you're taking apart oil pans, valve covers, timing covers to inspect for damage, following the noise.

And the tahoe's have 3 V8 engines so if you would like me to look up corp bulletins I need to know the engine size and miles. Or the 8th digit of the VIN #

Expert:  Doctor D replied 4 months ago.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.