GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2004 SS 3.8 it will start but wont stay running

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 it will start but wont stay running sometime it will stay running but when it's shut off it won't start again when it's not starting all the gauges don't work the only gauge worth is the battery gauge gas gauge and others seems to not have any connection they don't work what do you think is wrong
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: It starts the engine turns over it starts up but it won't keep running it shut right down I leave it for a while and some time it starts up Andrew run but when it won't start the gas gauge and other gauges won't move
JA: Are you fixing your Monte Carlo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No is that the Prothro Chevrolet company they've had it since last week they have changed the computer they tried some other things they took it out for a drive it shut off twice they still can't find what's wrong they said that never it down to be electrical problem but can't find the problem so far
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When the situation first begin the first symptoms I had was the battery light came on while I was driving alone that's where it began
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joe replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

When it will not start or shuts down and gauges don't work will the engine turn over and not start or it will not turn the engine over either?

Thanks,

Joe