Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

02 Camry 2.2 While driving, the ac shuts off, The ac on and

Customer Question

02 Camry 2.2 While driving, the ac shuts off, The ac on and off button starts blinking, turn off and back on, your good for about 5min. and it shuts off again. Have not checked pressures yet, the air temp out of the vents while running are 38 to 42 degrees. That tells me the ac charge is close. Help!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 3 months ago.

The flashing light is an indication that the compressor is not engaged when the processor thinks it should be engaged. This can be due to a faulty clutch coil (likely) that is heating up and not working until it cools off sufficiently and works again. What this means in the big picture is that you'll need a new AC compressor to resolve it, if that's what the issue is.

Diagnosing it is simple enough, if you have some basic electrical tools and knowledge. When the light is flashing, that means the clutch should be engaged. I would test this to see if there is power and ground at the clutch when this is happening. If so, your clutch coil is bad, and the paragraph above applies. If not, you may just have a faulty relay that is causing the clutch to not engage.