Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How should it take to remove and install a STOCK camshaft on

how long should it take...
how long should it take to remove and install a STOCK camshaft on a 2008 LS3 CORVETTE ? How many labor hours would be involved? What is a estimated cost for this job at a gm dealer in the midwest?
JA: Are you fixing your Corvette yourself? What have you tried so far? You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Chevy Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: I had an edledbrock supercharger installed with a high lift cam. The car has not run right since then. I have taken it ti five "gm experts to get it tuned and none of them could solve the loss of power, inability to start, inability to idel, inability to run smoothly feels like half of the plugs are discountered. warning lights came on for reduced engine power, traction contrl and anti skid brake system. Took it to another GM CHEVY DEALER and they said the mass oil filter was soaked in oil and had to be replaced and installed a oil catch can. Picked up the car and it started and ran smooth, Two days later after sitting, the car barely started and ran rough as could be, Chevy has thrown up their hands and said it should be taken to a tune expert. Would a bad cam or improperly installed high lift cam cause all of this?
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? Does the light stay on steady or is it intermittent?
Customer: Yes, brake fluid is fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been told by my buddies that the wrong high lift cam was installed or installed improperly but that is just a common opinion.
3/25/2017
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, here is the labor hours for the R&I of a camshaft. An estimated cost at a dealer, assuming dealer labor rates are 100.00/hr is not an attractive number.

do you think the aftermarket high lift cam could be the cause behind all of the engine issues?

absolutely my friend. when you start modding engines, you cant take any chances of letting anyone but a reputable speed performance shop do the work. when you augment anything from factory specs you are taking a chance of having these issues.

also

A lot of times a bolt in performance cam won't have much more lift because the stock valve springs won't handle it.

would you suggest installing the original LS3 factory camshaft to fix the issues? How much would that cost?
I DON'T have an faith in performance shops ability to solve these issues. I have been to five recommended guys and no one can fix the issue.

i would definitely recommend installing the factory camshaft for sure

Thanks for your opinion!

its a long process my friend. good luck and i hope you find someone to do it correctly

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. thank you. have a great week

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic