Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2003 Chevy avalanche with a 5.3L engine. The left

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Chevy avalanche with a 5.3L engine. The left (drivers) side plugs (1,3,5,7) are black & sooty. The right (passenger) side plugs look normal, Just had the Y pipe replaced (with cats) and had it tuned up about a month ago. Whats causing one side to run so rich and trhe other normal?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

this has brand new cat on it ?

this has NO vacuum leaks from the bottom of the lower of the intake manifold ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not that can be heard
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no phone call. just getting info for my mechanic. He's just as stumped as I am
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gotta go, just e-mail me with your prognosis. I'll try to check back in tomorow.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

with confirmed good cat and its just that one bank and there are NO vacuum leaks on that bank then the only other thing to cause a fuel control issue on one bank is the O2 sensors on that bank being bad giving wrong readings to the computer to dump in too much fuel or the rare chance the injectors for that bank are dirty or there ir rust or dirt in them or in the fuel rail for that bank

nothing else will cause a bank to do this

again be SURE the cat is good

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.