Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

My 08 Chevy equip keeps over heating, had a block test don't

Customer Question

My 08 Chevy equip keeps over heating, had a block test don't and that was fine, had a lot of work done to it including a new radiator. Im completely stumped as to what it could be
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Yes everything is fine no leaks
JA: What is the model of your '08 Chevy?
Customer: Lt 3.4
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No my mechanic has been working on it he put a new tadiator, water pump, thermostat in it. I was told it could be air getting into the system but there's no signs of it being the case
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Apparently before hand there was a hunch of fix a leak dumped into my car not by me, but that's why I've had to have all this work done and it's still overheating even with everything replaced
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is Dan.

How many miles are on it?

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

The reason I asked for the miles is because these engines have head gasket issues at a certain mileage. The rear cylinder head around the number one cylinder is usually where the problem is.

I would pull the heads and replace the head gaskets. Its a fairly easy job on this engine. I own a 2006 equinox and am doing a head gasket job in my garage as we speak so I know this engine very well.

Also this engine is tough to bleed the air out of the cooling system without an air lock tool.

Make sure to flush the heater core and radiator as head gasket material can easily clog both.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can.

Please only Rate 5 stars. If you feel you need to rate less than that let me know so I can help more.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
159,000
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Yes it is definately due for head gaskets.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But I believe my mechanic replaced those
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Does the heat blow out hot at idle?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's cold at idle then when I step on the gas it gets warm
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Air trapped in the cooling system will cause this. Head gasket, cracked head or block. If the system was not properly bled it could cause this as well.

You need to have the mechanic due a leak down test especially on the rear cylinders, this is not easy to get at the rear plugs so it is skipped alot of the time.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He did a block test twice and not a thing showed the color stayed blue. There's not antifreeze in my oil and not blowing anything out my exhaust and no black film in the antifreeze reservoir tank
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

If its a small leak it may not show up on a block test, but will on a leak down test.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Also use a bore scope in the spark plug hole and check if the top of the piston is clean. This is an indication of head gasket issues.